Wii Commercial

 

What the project was

So for our first project this year we were asked to make a commercial. My group, Alex, Ryan, and I, decided to do a commercial of the Nintendo Wii. We thought it would be a cool concept if we played on how immersive the motion controls were supposed to be. Ultimately, we decided to try and make it that we transition from them playing the game, to an imaginary sequence of them actually doing what is happening in the game as if they were there.

Preproduction

Our preproduction actually went by really smoothly surprisingly. First, we had to decide on production roles, I was the director, Ryan was the editor, and Alex was the cinematographer. We got the script done rather quickly, along with the storyboards. Casting was not stressful at all (usually it is, audit's a struggle to get actors) we were able to get actors rather quickly. Our two main cast members ended up being Zeph and Silas and they did great. We were ready to shoot within a couple days, which is rare on projects I've worked on.

Production

Production went pretty smoothly, but it still had its rough patches. For example, on our first day, when we shot the tennis scenes, we underestimated how tough it would be for Zeph and Silas to play tennis. Especially considering the most experience any of us had with tennis was in Wii Sports, so none of us really had any tips. We were supposed to shoot the next day but Silas's mom broke her toe so we had to wait until the next day. The following day, we shot the scenes of them playing Wii, which was insanely easy, all we had to do was just record the two of them playing Wii Sports. The toughest part was the lightsaber fight, I had had to choreograph it the night before and teach it to Zeph and Silas in like ten minutes. They got the hang of it really quickly thankfully. When we got out there it was really cool, it felt like we were shooting a Star Wars movie, which was awesome. We did have to shoot it quickly because we had the perfect lighting from the sun and didn't want to lose it. Unfortunately that came at the price of having the shots on the couch have poor lighting.

Post-Production

This was by far and away the most tedious post-production I have had to endure solely because of the lightsaber effects. Ryan was able to edit very efficiently and well. The lightsaber effects took a long time to do on AfterEffects, I first had to learn how to even do it, so it took a bit to find a video where it even looked like it would look good. Next I had to actually implement the effects, which was, like I said, tedious. I had to go frame by frame for each clip. The process took about 3-4 days to get it right. I'm very proud of how it turned out though, I think it looked really cool. 

Final Thoughts

Overall I'm proud of this project. I think if I did it again, I would manage the time a bit better and use a lighting kit. But I would also push myself like I did with this one, I feel like forcing myself to go further made it a better commercial, so going forward I want to do that more. As a whole, this project was the most fun I've had doing ecomm in years to be honest. I loved it and hope that the rest of my projects turn out great as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CSS Web Project

The Bouncy Ball Project Thingy

Film Reel 2021